Vitiligo or skin fading is also know as leukoderma. It is an auto immune disorder where ones own body cells starts reacting towards it. It is a long term skin condition which is characterised by milky white patchy skin that can be seen on the different parts of the body and is usually sharp on margins. Hair also becomes white in that area. This is due to the cells that make pigment in the skin are destroyed. Vitiligo can be seen on people with darker skin also, although it can be seen in all skin types, and patches starts appearing when the skin is exposed to the sun. This condition is non-contagious but can affect life style of the people.What are the causes of vitiligo?
The exact cause of vitiligo is not known but few reasons can contribute to this auto immune disorder, like:
Age is not specified, although it can start at any age group, but one can see it between the age of 20 or 30 yrs. The white patches can be seen on the face, neck, armpits, elbow, genitalia, hand, knees or even in the mouth and nose, and even on the whole body.
1. Oral medications- Prescriptive oral medications can help in suppressing the body’s immune system and allows the pigment of the body to return back in leucoderma. Psoralen with a combination of phototherapy can be helpful in restoration of pigmentation. The drug renders the skin light sensitive and turns pink triggering a healing process and the skin returns its normal colour.
2. Suction blister grafting- A normally pigmented donor site is subjected to negative pressure to promote the formation of blisters. Blisters can be raised with the help of a syringe, suction cups or suction pumps. The syringe sizes are usually 10 ml to 20 ml and takes around 2 hours for the development of the blisters.
3. Mini-punch grafting- Small sized and full thickness grafts are harvested and placed in the affected area of leucoderma along with PUVA. It is a very simple and efficient technique and commonly preferred. 2mm bits of skin are punched from the donor site and placed on the recipient areas where also punches would have been created.
4. Split thickness grafting- Layers of skin are shaved off from the donor site to be placed on the recipient site. Large areas of skin can be covered with split thickness grafting. This technique produces uniform pigmentation in leucoderma.
5. PRP Therapy- Platelet rich plasma therapy can be very effective in the treatment of vitiligo, if there is a small patch of affected area. Centrifuged and concentrated blood plasma is administered to the skin to induce effective pigmentation. Blood is drawn from the patient’s own body and does not have any side effects.
6. Phototherapy- Considered as the gold standard in the treatment of vitiligo, phototherapy or narrow band UVB light, is one of the most common treatments for vitiligo. It uses UVB spectrum from 311-112 nm. PUVA light therapy uses UVA light.
I visited to consult with Dr Shail Gupta for hair loss and the way he approached towards my case was really good. He explained every bit of wrong and right that could happen in my case and the remedies for them. Initial impressions have been good and now am looking for the outcomes of the procedure.
I visit Satya Clinci related to my skin problem (chicken pox marks ). I met Dr shail Gupta he is such a nice good hearted person . I was very worried about my face but he made be so positive and through his treatment within a few weeks I get a positive result on my face. If you have any problem related to skin please consult him